F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Michael Catanzaro mike.catanzaro at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 04:36:59 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-07-17 at 14:58 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> We ask this constantly on Fedora. Because Fedora is where innovation is
> supposed to take place, not where things are stay frozen in carbonite
> forever.
>
> (And let's never forget that Fedora is not the pioneer here. ArchLinux
> went journal-only already. We are not actually the innovators here, we
> just follow.)

I believe openSUSE 12.3 does not install syslog anymore either. (I think
they decided they did not want to log everything twice? :) Fedora's
following this time.

They had a couple of mailing list fights over the issue, which I thought
were pretty impressive at the time, but you guys put them to shame!