F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 16:11:17 UTC 2013

On 18 July 2013 16:51, Eric Smith <brouhaha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Maybe your question is poorly stated, then.
>
> What I thought you asked was how to read Linux log files from a
> Windows installation, e.g., when Linux fails to boot.

This is indeed the question - so given you understood it so it seems I
would say that it was not poorly stated.

>  In the past I've been able to do that using ext2fsd without much
> difficulty.

This will not work depending on ext4 options, if LVM is in use or if BTRFS
is used which is of course now supported as an option in the installer.

> I used that method when I wasn't able to boot a rescue or live CD,

Then you were not using it with a default installed Fedora anyway which has
a default of LVM in place

> and the last resort would have been to pull the hard drive from the
> machine and use a different computer to inspect it.

That or live media is the best option in general... I know above you said
you couldn't use a live CD and I'm quite curious as to why.

> But if /var/log/messages is not made available by default, then using
> ext2fsd
> won't work, and other methods become more difficult also.

It already won't work for a default installed Fedora ... there is no
difference.

> My main complaint is that removing the default syslog to
> /var/log/messages makes it harder for me to diagnose broken machines
> that OTHER people have set up, because those other people aren't going
> to have installed a non-default syslog daemon.  Certainly if it's a
> machine I'm installing, I'll know to install syslog.

Well fortunately you pay attention to these lists so you know to look at
the README and if /var/log/messages is not there (or if Fedora in general
now) you should use journalctl instead...