Multirelease effort: Moving to Python 3

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 16:36:23 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:17:51AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> Far better to encourage people to explicitly use /usr/bin/python2 and
> /usr/bin/python3 explicitly and discourage any use of plain /usr/bin/python,
> but definitely not change the semantics of the latter.

+1*10^6

> > Upstream plans to support it until 2015 (maybe little longer).
> > Fedora needs to be prepared for such step, so it's the right time to
> > start working on it.
>
> Given the amount of python2 code out there, I wouldn't be at all surprised
> if someone steps up to maintain python2 beyond the date at which its
> current maintainer ceases work. Of course such maintainence work would
> likely be important bug fixes & security updates only, not feature work.
>
> So while I encourage a Fedora effort to get onto Python3 by default,
> well before 2015, I don't think we should assume that Python2 support
> is definitely going to stop in 2015.

<nod>  At this time, I'm pretty sure that someone will step up to maintain
python2 packages in all major distros after the 2015 date that upstream
stops supporting a CPython2.  There's several different ways that could
shake out --

* Distros independently maintain python2 packages
* Distros get together and maintain python2 as a unified project.  Possibly
  even using the CPython upstream revision control system and issue tracker.
* Distros switch to alternate implementations of python2 (such as pypy) for
  their python2 compatible code.

It's too early for me to tell which of these is likely to happen.  It
depends mostly on how important python2 still is when upstream CPython
finally decides to stop supporting python2.

-Toshio