Webapps denying all outside access by default?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jul 22 16:11:51 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-22 at 09:40 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 01:16:30AM -0600, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> > I do agree that the .rpmnew thing is annoying, and I wish there was a
> > better way to handle that.
>
> I think in general, packaging webapps into RPM is of low value. I've tried
> to use these packages in production several times over the years, and
> inevitably become frustrated and which I'd just installed from upstream as
> upstream expects. Not coincidentally, see the presentation I just posted in
> a another thread. :)

FWIW I have the exact opposite experience; I run some webapps from RPM
packages and some installed directly and I far prefer the RPM packaged
ones. I only wish there were packages of the ones I have to install and
maintain manually.

I even prefer the experience of running a webapp from a package *when I
have to do a lot of the maintenance on the package* (Roundcube).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey