F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jul 22 16:25:50 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-07-21 at 18:55 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Where is the desktop notification solution in Fedora? There is none able
> to even remotely approach the capabilities of the cron + MTA bits you so
> dislike.

You're ascribing emotions to a proposal where none exist. No-one said
they 'so dislike' cron + MTA, what they said was that they believe few
Fedora installations use local mail delivery any more and it increases
the size of the minimal and default install unnecessarily, so they'd
like to take it out of the minimal and default package sets. It's not
about 'liking' or 'disliking' it.

> Even running the latest and greatest rawhide nothing desktop-side
> caught a very basic event like a failing disk!

GNOME Disks is supposed to pop up a notification when SMART reports
pre-fail status for a disk, I think. I suppose it's possible that's
broken on the GNOME side somehow.

>  The only state-of-the-art
> part of our notification chain is the smtpd element, everything else is
> hacks or unfinished prototypes (state-of-the-art as in, what are Google
> and Amazon using to notify their users of events? Mail messages! They
> would be ROFL if they were reading this conversation. If it's not done yet
> I predict they'll integrate their phones and tablets and notify you of
> problems by mail in the next years.)

Again you're confusing the issue. The Change proposed here is not 'email
is so old LOL LOL noone's allowed to use it any more!' It's 'we don't
need an MTA in the minimal and default Fedora package sets'. You are
attacking a straw man.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey