F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Jul 21 19:18:50 UTC 2013

Le Dim 21 juillet 2013 20:24, Chris Murphy a écrit :

> On Jul 21, 2013, at 10:55 AM, "Nicolas Mailhot"
> <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
>>  (state-of-the-art as in, what are Google
>> and Amazon using to notify their users of events? Mail messages!>
>
> If you're talking about google calendar events, email is used only because
> even with Chrome the pop-up notifications only work 1/2 the time.

It's used because it works reliably, sure

>> They
>> would be ROFL if they were reading this conversation. If it's not done
>> yet
>> I predict they'll integrate their phones and tablets and notify you of
>> problems by mail in the next years.)
>
> ?? So you think it's a good idea to have low battery, critical software
> updates, maybe a virus alert, appear to the user in an email? That really
> makes no sense, but I'm otherwise not thinking what else you mean by the
> above.

No, I think for *some* notification classes, async + reliable
system-agnostic delivery is better than transient
non-on-seen-it-and-anyway-gnome-suppressed-it popup

> I think email is craptastic. There's too much of it in all forms. But the
> worst is the kind that comes from automated systems. I want less of this,
> not more of it.

But every other system sucks more…
At least most MUAs have built-in filtering/classification capabilities
(under the user, not the designer control).

--
Nicolas Mailhot