EPEL (was Re: RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk))

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 16:47:12 UTC 2013

On 07/22/2013 04:34 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 03:58:01PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On 07/22/2013 03:38 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>>> Packaging Guidelines themselves are written for Fedora.  We note where
>>> EPEL/RHEL need something different where applicable.
>> Aha that's why nonsenses like the allowance for legacy sysv init file
>> to be continued to be shipped once they have been migrated
>>
> Correct (ignoring the sarcasm and taking that literally  ;-)
>

>> because it
>> was being beneficial to Fedora in anyway lol
> This was actually not the rationale.  The rationale was that it wasn't
> harmful to Fedora and so if individual maintainers felt that it was
> something that they wanted to ship they could.

Did the FPC even bother to test what they had approved in practices? (
Do they in general? )

Have you tried installing an legacy sysv initscript file and using after
it has been replaced with a native systemd unit.

If for the remote possibility you actually did try that, did you do test
that across updates/upgrades? .

If and when you have done doing that you can answer this question if
that's an users experience we want our users to have and if it makes
sense to continue to allow for legacy sysv initscript to be shipped in
the distribution once they have been migrated et al instead of simply
having them being dropped.

JBG