Why does so much virt stuff depend on glusterfs?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jul 23 12:19:21 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 05:27:20PM +0530, Kaleb KEITHLEY wrote:
> On 07/23/2013 05:20 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> >>Hmm, I wonder if there's another QEMU linkage problem here. QEMU
> >>seems to only use glfs_* functions in its code, but it is
> >>linking to "-lgfapi -lgfrpc -lgfxdr". It seems like it could
> >>probably link to just libgfapi.so, and thus only depend on
> >>glusterfs-api and not main glusterfs RPM.
> >
> >Ah yes, that's the key ...
> >
> >$ rpm -ql glusterfs-api
> >/usr/lib64/glusterfs/3.4.0beta4/xlator/mount/api.so
> >/usr/lib64/libgfapi.so.0
> >/usr/lib64/libgfapi.so.0.0.0
> >

> Even if libgfapi (from glusterfs-api) is used instead of client-side
> gluster fuse mount you still need the translators (from glusterfs)

Hmm, so normally the point of putting libraries in a sub-RPM is that
you can install it without pulling in the main toolchain, to save
space. Since the glusterfs-api RPM depends on glusterfs, you obviously
can't do that.

So I'm curious as to what the purpose of having glusterfs-api as a
sub-RPM is ?  Removing it saves 80 KB of disk space, so I guess it
isn't space related.

Regards,
Daniel