F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 23 17:06:42 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 06:21:45PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Look, the proposal is not calling to replace sendmail, it's calling to
> remove any MTA. So "sendmail is a bad MTA" is not a good argument for this

No, it's *really* not calling to "remove any MTA". It's calling for no MTA
to be installed by default, or at least not in the minimal install.

The two arguments against this change I hear are:

 * "This is a slipperly slope to the doom of all MTAs". This argument isn't very
   convincing -- otherwise non-sendmail MTAs would already be dead, as would
   every other server we don't install by default.

 * "An MTA should be part of the base design." This point I'm open to,
   although I think it requires more work than people are willing to
   actually do, and I'd like to see a counter-proposal involving actually
   doing that work.