Fedora as an crowd founded project an additional funding source to our sponsor

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 15:24:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 9:50 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
<johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I gave the quick answer  "through donations"

Reading through this thread, it seems to me that you are wanting to
change something you don't understand.

While I am not a RH employee, I have been deeply involved in FOSS,
including Debian and Fedora, for many years.

The best I can suggest is: build that funding source, and get it to
grow to an important size _without_ messing with RH as a sponsor. The
cost of running Fedora is likely to be huge. Fundraising is incredibly
hard, and generally fails.

So I suggest you try fundraising under a name or org of your choosing
with like-minded folks. If you succeed you'll be able to fund Fedora
development, and it will evolve organically.

This is important. Grow it organically, "show how it's done, doing it
and succeeding". Don't waste everyone's time trying to change how
Fedora runs today, because it _works_ and you just cannot tear down
something that works every time a random person claims to have a
better idea.

If the random person has a better idea, better be able to show how it
works to gain some standing.

> I as a donor donating $20 would like those to run to

$20? It's going to be a long road!

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 -  ask interesting questions
 ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff