rpmconf and new feature to configure application

Jan Zeleny jzeleny at redhat.com
Fri Jul 26 06:27:17 UTC 2013

Dne Čt 25. července 2013 11:38:28, Colin Walters napsal(a):
> On Thu, 2013-07-25 at 14:42 +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> > So I put in rpmconf this code (little bit simplified here):
> >          if [ -x /usr/share/rpmconf/$PACKAGE ]; then
> >
> >                  /usr/share/rpmconf/$PACKAGE
> >
> >          fi
>
> Have you looked at Debconf?  In a past life I wrote the Debconf scripts
> for Postfix.
>
> The crazy thing about Debconf is that it asks you questions while the
> package mangler is in the middle of open heart surgery on your root
> filesystem (partly because Debian wants daemons to start immediately
> after install); as long as rpmconf is clearly something that happens
> after things are installed, having some standard mechanism here makes a
> lot of sense.

The original idea of the setup script interface is based on debconf in fact.
There is however one important difference between rpm and deb packaging
systems. The rpm is designed from ground up to be non-interactive during
transaction processing (installation / update / ...). That's why we have
decided to implement this functionality in rpmconf and not directly in rpm.

I agree that having some common ground makes sense and we certainly intend to
direct future versions of rpmconf closer to the debconf, except for those
parts that might be influenced by the difference above.

Thanks
Jan