delays between kernel builds and updates-testing

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jun 28 16:01:26 UTC 2013

Am 28.06.2013 17:42, schrieb Kevin Fenzi:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 17:09:43 +0200
> Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> which does not explain why 3.9.6 and 3.9.7 was not in updates-testing
>> and 3.9.7 got there today, a week after it was built and after 3.9.8
>> was built on koji for F17
>
> Only the kernel maintainers can answer that. How about we wait and let
> them do that?

OK

>>> If you want to help with this test kernels on the older releases
>>> and give appropriate feedback in bohdi for them.
>>
>> this is a conceptional problem in the Fedora infrastructure
>
> IMHO, no.
>
> Only those builds that maintainers desire to push out as updates are
> pushed out as updates. There's many reasons why someone would build
> something but not push it out (yet)

IMHO, yes.

if i install kernel from koji on several machines and
have a option to give karma if it works it would be in
any case a useful information for the maintainers which
is indepedent from what they desired intentionally

> Perhaps there was a very nasty bug and they wanted a reporter to
> confirm.
>
> Perhaps they did the build, but discovered some bug in their testing
> after the build completed

then kernel.x86_64 3.9.7-100.fc17 would not have been pusehd to
updates-testing a week after build today, henceif the package would
have any hint that it is a security-update on koji i would have
tested and deployed it days ago, that is why we run test environments
for production-servers running Fedora old-stable to not wait for
karma of random users which may never happen - but not for each
random build with no indication of security-fixes

does not have any security hint in the changelog