delays between kernel builds and updates-testing

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 16:13:00 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 28.06.2013 17:42, schrieb Kevin Fenzi:
>> On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 17:09:43 +0200
>> Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>> which does not explain why 3.9.6 and 3.9.7 was not in updates-testing
>>> and 3.9.7 got there today, a week after it was built and after 3.9.8
>>> was built on koji for F17
>>
>> Only the kernel maintainers can answer that. How about we wait and let
>> them do that?
>
> OK

There were no additional major fixes on top of 3.9.5.  Given that a
3.9.x kernel has been sitting in updates testing for almost a month
now, there seemed to be little point in throwing a new one in that
hasn't been tested very well.

>>> this is a conceptional problem in the Fedora infrastructure
>>
>> IMHO, no.
>>
>> Only those builds that maintainers desire to push out as updates are
>> pushed out as updates. There's many reasons why someone would build
>> something but not push it out (yet)
>
> IMHO, yes.
>
> if i install kernel from koji on several machines and
> have a option to give karma if it works it would be in
> any case a useful information for the maintainers which
> is indepedent from what they desired intentionally

You can always email us saying it works.  Or comment in the bugs the
changelog says are fixed.

>> Perhaps there was a very nasty bug and they wanted a reporter to
>> confirm.
>>
>> Perhaps they did the build, but discovered some bug in their testing
>> after the build completed
>
> then kernel.x86_64 3.9.7-100.fc17 would not have been pusehd to
> updates-testing a week after build today, henceif the package would
> have any hint that it is a security-update on koji i would have
> tested and deployed it days ago, that is why we run test environments
> for production-servers running Fedora old-stable to not wait for
> karma of random users which may never happen - but not for each
> random build with no indication of security-fixes
>
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=428473
> does not have any security hint in the changelog

Because 3.9.6, 3.9.7, and 3.9.8 don't have any security fixes.  If you
look at the F17 update, the fixes were already in 3.9.5, which was in
updates-testing already.  The update was edited to use the newer
builds.  It inherits the update "type" from whatever the original
setting was.

josh