RFC: Fedora revamp proposal

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Mar 5 17:52:36 UTC 2013

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 12:44:39 -0500
Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:

> Well, in that case I suppose we'd need to add a new tag-set, something
> like rawhide-pending and run the tests over the combination rawhide
> and rawhide-pending tags. If they started failing, don't move the
> rawhide-pending tag to rawhide.

Yeah. Ie, a official build tags your build into f19-pending, tests are
run on it, if they pass it tags over to f19.

> I'm not going to pretend at the moment that I know the perfect
> technical solution to accomplish this at the moment.

Sure. Just brainstorming here for others to also jump in with ideas.

> This is local testing that has been done in concert with the feature
> to add enterprise login support to Anaconda/firstboot. There's
> currently no way to actually install from Rawhide cleanly in order to
> do that testing.

Bummer. ;(

There was a plan to do weekly install composes, but it was blocked by
mock in rawhide being broken for a while. I am not sure what the hold
up is now.

> Hmm, I suppose I thought Bodhi was involved quietly. If it's not, then
> you may be right and we should look into other integration points.

Yeah, it's not. The rawhide and released/branched versions will have to
handle this slightly differently I suspect. Or perhaps we can use
whatever we come up with for rawhide for others as well and just have
it be before bodhi in the process.

> I suppose the biggest question that needs answering in this thread is
> this: Is this a goal that the Fedora community as a whole sees as
> worth investing time and effort into? Obviously, my view is "yes". I
> think that if we can make Rawhide more consumable, we'll have a place
> where we can reasonably expect people to do development (as opposed to
> the current model where people are mainly using Rawhide as a place to
> either throw untested upstream packages or else do last-minute
> integration right before a freeze).

Yep.

I think its a worthwhile goal. I'd like to avoid slowing down rawhide
or adding too much red tape, but I think catching inadvertent breakage
should be welcomed by everyone.

kevin