[emelfm2] remove vendor tag from desktop file. https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/247

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 11:06:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 06:10:20 -0500, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> [...] but it appears that any change including dropping very old obsoletes
> is considered controversial or needless change or personal preference now
> and frankly, it is just less work for me to not care about other packages
> much.

I find it sad that this is your point of view. It has left me pretty much
speechless for a day.

And rest assured, "dropping very old obsoletes" isn't controversial in
general. That's my opinion. What's controversial is how to do it. It ought
not be done with just a "clean up spec to follow current guidelines" entry.
Point at a commit where you've dropped Obsoletes, and one could take a look.
It would be a good habit to document dropped Obsoletes in a %changelog
comment, for example. Provenpackagers ought to know that maintaining the
%changelog properly is a good thing. You want to document what you've
dropped and when you've dropped it, regardless of whether you considered
it "very old" or "straight-forward".

In the same way, removing desktop vendor prefixes should be done right.
When I contacted you about your changes last week, you refused to do it
right and you responded that you think the upstream project is not active
enough.

> Becoming co-maintainer for all of them just doesn't scale and I have
> more than enough in my plate already.  I can just ride through even more
> obvious changes and be done with it or just not participate.

Same here. :-/

That's an amazingly disappointing response from you.

The whole motivation behind getting rid of the old desktop vendor prefix
cruft is to get a chance to apply random "clean-up" in lots of packages?
All or nothing?
Such as dropping an excluded %doc file and its comment. Imagine that!
Why would you drop lines a different packager has added deliberately?

You've told me that some of your changes are scripted. Actually, you sort
of re-review the packages you touch and change things you don't like or
where you think you know better than the package maintainer(s). That's
not okay. It doesn't work that way, because you cannot check every minor
detail on wether another packager has added it back just recently.

You admit that you've made "some actual mistakes", but instead of being
willing to compromise, a message later you want to stop all your
activity. Wow!

--
Fedora release 19 (Rawhide) - Linux 3.9.0-0.rc0.git15.1.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.27 0.39 0.38