[emelfm2] remove vendor tag from desktop file. https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/247

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 23:55:53 UTC 2013

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 17:56:32 -0500, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Agreed but I just get a general feeling that some package maintainers
> don't really want others touching their packages.

Some don't like it that another name appears in "their" %changelog.
Some even overwrite/revert changes with their next commit, because either
they don't pay attention to the commit notification mails or they "force"
into git their spec file working-copies and don't care what somebody else
may have committed. (no examples available, but it has happened within
fedora cvs and git)

Pkgdb shows a "provenpackager - group members can commit?" checkbox.
For which packages is this box unchecked?

In general,
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Who_is_allowed_to_modify_which_packages
is a good start.

If "touching packages" also included "doing version upgrades at random
times without taking care of a package in general", it would/could get
less funny and [much] more difficult. There are some, who would like
permission to mess with the package collection as they see fit and not
be responsible for the touched packages otherwise.

> I haven't stopped
> doing the changes ( I don't commit daily but whenever I can run through
> a bunch of mock builds first) but I am going to be confining my changes
> to more obvious and clear issues and package maintainers can deal with
> the rest however they see fit and that would leave less room for
> complaints.

Happy to hear that. I'm sure the people who get rid of the desktop vendor
prefix in hundreds of packages will receive a honorary mention occasionally.

--
Fedora release 19 (Rawhide) - Linux 3.9.0-0.rc0.git15.1.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.87 0.74 0.46