dial-up comps group?

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Fri Mar 8 05:17:43 UTC 2013

On 3/7/2013 8:50 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> I see all the various desktop envs install the 'dial-up' group, which
> has:
>
>        <packagereq type="mandatory">ppp</packagereq>
>        <packagereq type="default">isdn4k-utils</packagereq>
>        <packagereq type="default">linux-atm</packagereq>
>        <packagereq type="default">lrzsz</packagereq>
>        <packagereq type="default">minicom</packagereq>
>        <packagereq type="default">ModemManager</packagereq>
>        <packagereq type="default">rp-pppoe</packagereq>
>        <packagereq type="default">wvdial</packagereq>
>        <packagereq type="optional">efax</packagereq>
>        <packagereq type="optional">pptp</packagereq>
>        <packagereq type="optional">statserial</packagereq>
>
> I can see people perhaps using ModemManager (when they have some kind
> of mobile broadband or the like), but do we need to install the rest of
> that stuff on every desktop anymore?
>
> kevin

In a word, yes.  The digital divide between urban and rural still
exists, which means that broadband availability is significantly less in
rural areas, leaving dial-up the only financially feasible alternative
for many households.  This situation is exacerbated in physically large
countries that lack strong national policy for high speed, high capacity
Internet availability, so continued installation of what might be
considered geriatric, if not actually primitive, technology continues to
be necessary.

Ken