Unhelpful update descriptions

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Mar 12 09:53:50 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 11:57:00PM -0700, Dan Mashal wrote:
> > I'm not doubting your technical skills. I'm making a few points.
> >
> > b) sometimes you have a LOT of packages to push out.
> > c) sometimes even you yourself don't know what to put in the notes.
> > d) sometimes there's really not much else to put at all.
>
>   This sounds like updates that SHOULDN'T be pushed. If update has no
> changes worth mentioning, it is trivial - trivial updates should not
> be pushed.

I understand the trivial update more as trivial change in a SPEC file,
not a new minor upstream release. Maybe it needs more clarification.

For example a typo fix in description field in a SPEC file, it's
definitely not worth to issue an update and disturb user with an
update. And yes, sometimes even typo could be a reason for update
if it misleads users in a bad manner (not likely).

The second part is clear - if the release fixes only Windows build
issue, no reason to update and I expect our maintainers are clever
enough not to update it ;-)

Jaroslav