Unhelpful update descriptions

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Mar 12 22:43:23 UTC 2013

Dan Mashal wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:37 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Providing a link is helpful to users isn't semantics.  You as a package
>> maintainer would be aware of where to look for reviewing the changes
>> before
>> pushing an update.  Users don't since it is different for different
>> projects
>> and is not necessarily obvious or even easily searchable.  Just take that
>> few seconds of additional effort and provide the link.

+1 to Rahul!

> Right because you do that for every single update you push?

Yes! It's the absolute least you can do for your users. I NEVER push an
update without a clear explanation of what it changes (from a user's
perspective) or a link to such an explanation.

> This is turning into a "what should the default desktop be"
> discussion. So I'm dropping off.

It's a very different kind of discussion.

> This is a SHOULD not a MUST.

No, it's a MUST. There's a reason Bodhi introduced that placeholder text, to
make it clear that empty update notes are NOT acceptable. Some maintainers
still don't get it. Just because you're too lazy to do it doesn't mean you
aren't required to.

        Kevin Kofler