Improving the Fedora boot experience

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Mar 12 18:31:20 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> said:
> I  *do* appreciate the attempts to get a clean, graphically consistent
> boot experience. And to be frank, I wonder if not WIn 8 (and perhaps
> Mac) has got it right. It's just that a Fedora box isn't a Win8 or a
> Mac, and the boot UI cant change that.  We have:
> - Kernel updates done regularly, sometimes breaking boot.

Here's the other large difference between the typical Linux install and
Windows/Mac OS: Linux has choices that can be made at boot.  When the
other OSes update their equivalent to the kernel, they don't leave
multiple kernels installed that can be chosen at boot.  There's no
comparison between Win/Mac boot and Linux because they don't have a
similar choice to offer.

Windows is still ahead in how boot is handled, in that a boot failure
will automatically bring up the boot menu for their "rescue mode"
equivalent (and Fedora, especially with GRUB2, makes it difficult to do
that, since you have to know how to edit the kernel command line to add
"rescue").

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>