New groups in comps for F19

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Thu Mar 14 11:56:23 UTC 2013

On 14. 3. 2013 at 04:48:33, Dan Mashal wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 1:46 AM, Jan Zelený <jzeleny at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> > as per [1], I'd like to propose some patches for F19 comps. These patches
> > are splitting group called Development Tools into several smaller groups.
> > The purpose of this email is to find out if there is something
> > fundamentally wrong with the change (except for the fact that it is
> > change).
> >
> > These are key points about the patch set:
> > 1. There should be only small visible impact to users. Currently the only
> > tool that is commonly using comps is anaconda and that uses the
> > "Developer workstation" environment. This group will contain all groups
> > that were created by the split to ensure maximal similarity to the old
> > state of things.
> >
> > 2. All in all, the Development Tools group needed a huge cleanup, as it
> > contained a lot of different tools and/or devel packages but many times
> > these were only fractions of development environments necessary for the
> > particular purpose. These tools are mostly still avaiable in other
> > groups, like C development, Electronic Lab, ...
> >
> > 3. The current idea for Developer Tools group is to contain just tools
> > that
> > are common/usable for development of most programming languages
> >
> > 4. This should bring only the "big picture change". No need to discuss
> > what
> > particular packages should be in which group. That can be tuned any time
> > later.
> >
> > 5. More groups targeted at specific areas should be created and/or
> > reviewed
> > soon-ish. Among them:
> > Perl Development
> > Python Development
> > Ruby Development
> > feel free to suggest more development-related areas that you would like to
> > improve.
> >
> > The goal of this effort is to start a process which would lead to more
> > usable comps, so users will be able (and more importantly encouraged) to
> > simply use for example yum to install these environments. By that time,
> > these environments should be cleaned up, in case user wants to install
> > just specific type of devel env, not the entire "Developer Workstation"
> >
> > [1]
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_and_edit_comps.xml_for_package_g
> > roups
> >
> > Thanks
> > Jan
> > --
>
> Please undo this change immediately and wait more than 2 days before
> you split such a massive group of important packages.

Dan,
thanks for your input. Did it break something for you? As I indicated above,
the split itself should have no effect for vast majority of users. The only
thing that might have some impact is the cleanup of packages. However that
impact will not be major, as many of these packages are in different developer-
focused groups anyway.

Thanks
Jan