package, package2, package3 naming-with-version exploit

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Thu Mar 28 12:39:59 UTC 2013

Dne 28.3.2013 13:24, Matthias Clasen napsal(a):

> [...]

Parallel installable branch packages are just limited subset of multiple
version of packages. The borders are usually foggy.

>   There are independent updates for gtk2 and for gtk3. I don't think you can really handle that within the same package name.

You have versions for that. Actually, was there gtk3-1.0 package
anytime? Was there Gnome3 1.0 release? May be even upstreams could think
about it.

>   Using a major version suffix for that is a well-established convention - I haven't seen any actual problem with this convention mentioned in this discussion so far.

You can check packaging list for parallel discussion [1].

Vít

[1]
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/packaging/2013-March/008977.html