F19 DVD over size - what to drop?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri May 3 21:03:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-05-03 at 08:54 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:

> Long-term (if we want to continue handling lots of packages on install
> DVDs), what would be nice would be for anaconda to support multiple DVDs
> for install _and_ allow them to be inserted for repo reading (so you
> could have a "Desktop DVD" with the installer and optionally add a
> "Developer DVD", a "Server DVD", etc., each with additional packages.  I
> seem to remember this being a suggestion with RHL and/or early Fedora
> back in the days when it was pushing the limits of a CD (before
> everything moved to DVD).
>
> That would be a PITA to handle; my best guess would be that the install
> would have to be broken up into multiple transactions (one per DVD or
> install source), but you'd have to resolve deps first (so deps of the
> "Development DVD" that are part of the desktop could be installed in the
> "Desktop DVD" transaction).

We've done it before. For multiple CDs. We may even have done it for
multiple floppies waaaay back in the day. I recall the anaconda folks
rejoicing wildly as they were finally able to drop the 'multi-disc'
code; I suspect you'd have to buy them many, many beers to convince them
to put it back in again. :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey