Do you think this is a security risk and if not is it a bad UI decision?

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sun May 5 01:00:04 UTC 2013

Le samedi 04 mai 2013 à 17:06 -0600, Chris Murphy a écrit :

> On May 4, 2013, at 3:37 AM, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> >
> > Or I could also speak of the small non standard keyboard such as macbook
> > one where ~ or | are not printed and where using the wrong keyboard
> > could result in wrong characters if you are unaware of the problem.
>
> I don't know what this means. On my MBP these characters are printed in all
>  applications including in anaconda's plaintext password field. I've yet to
>  experience the behavior you describe on any Mac.

Indeed, that was not clear ( or it was clear, but in my head only ).
I meant "not printed on the keys themself".

And I checked, the issue is not present on qwerty models ( it seems ) ,
but on azerty layout, the ~ and | are not visible on the keyboard ( at
least, on the keyboard I have on my old macbook 2.2 ).

See for example :
http://bblfish.net/tmp/2004_09_29/titanium_azerty_keyboard.jpg ( old
power book )
http://users.telenet.be/depot/screenshots/mb%20azerty.jpg

and others on google images.

And last time I used it, the mapping was not the same between os x and
linux on uc details ( ie, using ctrl vs apple key, if I am not wrong ),
but I do not boot on os x any more, so maybe things are better now.

--
Michael Scherer