dietlibc

Frank Bergmann fedora-devel at tuxad.de
Wed May 8 11:02:55 UTC 2013

Hello,

I freshly subscribed this list after reading that dietlibc seems to be
unmaintained.
(http://mm3test.fedoraproject.org/hyperkitty/list/devel@mm3test.fedoraproject.org/thread/BP7LYYNGQA2DDTNFNS3EJXX3AGNZRNAX/)

What's the current status of dietlibc in Fedora and how can it be checked?
Last built was done by Jon Ciesla on 2013-03-27.

On Sun Mar 3 03:21:06 UTC 2013, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> We agree then. But if we want to keep dietlibc, it needs to be fixed to
> comply with the packaging guidelines and best practices, i.e.:
> * Shared library build needs to be enabled. I see no reason to build this
> library as static only as Enrico is doing. We tolerate this where upstream
> does not support shared builds at all, but this is not the case here.
> * The main package should contain the shared library (and the documentation
> that's relevant at runtime, in particular COPYING) only. Right now it
> contains some stuff which probably belongs into -devel.
> * The main package must not require -devel as it does now.
> * The -devel package should not contain the static library, which should
> instead be in a -static subpackage.
> * The -lib package (which is currently not built by default, it contains the
> shared library if you enable shared build) should simply be the main
> package. It doesn't make sense to have a -lib subpackage of a library.
> * The -header subpackage should really be called -headers (There's more than
> one header! And it'd also be consistent with glibc.) or folded into -devel
> (though then it can't be noarch anymore).

If you are actually looking for a maintainer and the policies/rules are
not too difficult then I would do this job (before you throw dietlibc out
of Fedora). :-)

best regards
Frank