Do you think this is a security risk and if not is it a bad UI decision?

Marian Ganisin mganisin at redhat.com
Fri May 10 06:57:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 10:00:50AM +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 12:03:39AM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > Anaconda has a pretty special place in this project.  It is the
> > uber-administrator of every new Fedora install.  We would do better
> > as a community to hash out major changes before they're made, and
> > try to reach some agreement before we implement them.
>
> I've been reading loads and loads of blogs about the Anaconda redesign.
> That was a pretty major change. Something like showing a password is
> terribly minor change when developing.
>
> There was a pretty huge outcry about the Anaconda redesign, despite all
> the blogs. Now there is some small change, and there is a call that
> "major changes need to be hashed out".
>
> Seems like nothing they'd do would ever be good enough. Getting
> consensus before most commits sounds like a good way to scare away
> developers.

If they were coding a music player for their own needs, then you would be
right.  However Anaconda is something completely different. I am very sorry to
say it however Anaconda developers are not doing it for their fun. You can not
simply opt out it if you don't like it (unless you try different
distribution/OS, I hope this not a goal of this project), there's no
alternative to use. And that's the difference. Anaconda as well as any other
core component of distribution/OS has to be developed really carefully.

--
Regards,
Marian