anaconda / initial-setup / gnome-initial-setup: can we do this better?

Martin Sivak msivak at redhat.com
Mon May 20 09:07:16 UTC 2013

Hi,

a quick note before I start: I am no longer maintainer of initial-setup. But since I started it I will answer some of the questions.

> the main reason why we still have i-s while it's possible to do these
> setup tasks in Anaconda itself are OEM installations. And I'm pretty
> sure we don't have many ;-) OEM installations.

We (Fedora) probably don't, but we need this functionality for other products as well. Plus there are some (enterprise..) hardware configurations that need special treatment before the first login.

> So I agree with - putting as much functionality into Anaconda - licence,
> welcome screen, user creation (at least recommend the creation in the
> installer) and then there would be no reason to run i-s (unless user
> is not created) and system-wide part of g-i-s.

It was actually intended to behave this way from the beginning. All the screens are shared with Anaconda (and all we have right now live as part of Anaconda source code).

The hide/skip functionality is missing, but there is a proof of concept patch that hides all already configured screens from initial-setup (http://fedorapeople.org/cgit/msivak/public_git/anaconda.git/commit/?h=msivak&id=f679cafc5541b30b31bd5039004b6ccdcae3b54c).

> Another reason why I'd prefer this solution are neverending problems with
> firstboot/i-s theming under KDE.

No theming, initial-setup is the last step of installation and so should be considered DE agnostic. For this reason it also looks the same as the installer.

> > So, vpodzime, msivak: can we lobotomize initial-setup?

We do not have to, initial-setup is just an empty shell that can execute Anaconda screens (either core screens or plugins, but the API is Anaconda based).

Best regards

--
Martin Sivák
msivak at redhat.com