anaconda / initial-setup / gnome-initial-setup: can we do this better?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue May 21 19:15:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 15:03 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 11:50:37AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Since F19 has user creation in anaconda, we can actually cover all those
> > scenarios in anaconda quite easily. Literally all we have to do is make
> > it pop up a warning if you try to quit the installer without creating a
> > user account, but let you go ahead if you really want to.
>
> Maybe more forgiving to also not pop up a warning if you've not created a
> user but have set a root password?

No, that's what we do at present. It doesn't quite match what we're
aiming for here. We want to _allow_ you to do an install with a root
password but no user account, but _encourage_ you to create a user
account. This is the ultimate, high level behaviour that F18 and earlier
did, and so I'm figuring that's essentially what we want F19 to do.

Simply making anaconda make you jump through a hoop or two to create a
system with no user account, but ultimately let you do it, would achieve
this.

The alternative is to keep initial-setup around and have it do the 'warn
if no user account is created, but ultimately let you do it' thing. But
how is that any better? It's just added complexity and feature
duplication (okay, i-s just re-uses anaconda's code, but it appears as
duplication to the user). Now anaconda can handle user creation, I just
can't see any way it's better to do that in a post-install step than
simply to do it in anaconda.

> > gnome-initial-setup would still be a different case, as GNOME apparently
> > really wants to force the creation of a non-root account. So g-i-s will
>
> That seems fine to me; systems where you don't want a user account shouldn't
> be desktop systems, and it seems compatible with what I suggest above: if
> they have a root password don't pop up anything about the user account, and
> if they're in the common desktop case we know they'll get the lecture later.

I'm going to reply to this in a separate thread because it requires
broadening out the debate and could sidetrack the primary proposal,
which I want to keep on track. Believe me, I've thought about all the
possibilities here :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey