Software Management call for RFEs

Simone Caronni negativo17 at gmail.com
Thu May 23 11:33:37 UTC 2013

Hello,

On 22 May 2013 23:18, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> (10) Get rid of multilib, /usr/lib64 etc and copy what Debian/Ubuntu
> are doing.

might I ask the reasoning behind this? I found the current RHEL/Fedora
approach much better.

For example; at work we use IBM Lotus Notes, which is a 32 bit package. To
install it in a 32 bit or 64 bit environment the command is the same (i.e.
yum localinstall) as it will pull in the correct 32 bit dependencies.
Basically hassle free.

The guys that run Debian/Ubuntu notebooks, have to go through a series of
dependency problems just to install the package in a 64 bit environment
with getlibs and the like:

http://usablesoftware.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/install-lotus-notes-8-5-3-on-ubuntu-12-10-64bit-quick-n-dirty-installation-notes/
http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/nd85forum.nsf/DateAllThreadedWeb/69b50f2db7bb7b0b85257659005ab79e?OpenDocument

Regards,
--Simone

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of
the shore (R. W. Emerson).

http://xkcd.com/229/