Software Management call for RFEs

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Thu May 30 09:52:48 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Jan Zelený <jzeleny at redhat.com> wrote:
> Dear Fedora community,
> several months ago, at the Developer conference in Brno, Software Management
> team received a whole bunch of proposals for new functionality in RPM and
> related software stack.
>
> We acknowledge the need for some changes in Software Management stack in
> Fedora but we don't want to make changes just by guessing what our
> users want. Therefore I call to you, consumers of our products (dnf, yum and
> rpm): what are the changes that you would like to see in the foreseeable
> future (say 2-3 years) and why would you like to see them (what would they
> help you with)?
>
> There is already a list of some RFEs on rpm.org wiki, you can use it as an
> inspiration, to see what RFEs we have already received:
> http://rpm.org/wiki/FeaturePlanning
>
> The only limitation for your requests is our manifest which defines the scope
> of SW management stack for the future. It is attached to this email (note that
> it's quite extensive but the first part should give you a good image of what is
> the planned scope of SW management stack).
>
> Please send your requests as replies to this email so they can be properly
> discussed.

How about improving delta rpm performance? Currently we save download
time but require a lot of time to rebuild the rpms.
Can we just sign the deltas and then don't compress the generated
rpms? We waste time and cycles building xz
compressed rpms (from the deltas) just to decompress them a few
minutes later. Skipping this (just create uncompressed rpms when
building from deltas) should improve performance a lot.