Why is chrony conditional on system-config-date?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 30 15:04:33 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:25:14AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Nowadays... many things use timedatectl & the systemd service to set the
> NTP status. It does not directly bring in any ntp client, intentionally.
> (not needed for minimal installs)

Particularly, in virt environments, each guest should get an accurate
timesource from the host.

(Unless something is broken, which it often is.)

> While anaconda will bring chrony in for the live images, we probably
> want to add a similar conditional for gnome-control-center, so GNOME
> images/installs make sure to install a working NTP setup. Matthias?

It feels weird to make timekeeping conditional on the configuration tool.

And again, if we're running GNOME in virt, that's still not necessarily the
right thing to do.