Soname bump libpng (rawhide) - new libraries libpng.16.so and libpng16.so.16.2.0

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Thu May 30 17:48:24 UTC 2013

2013-05-30 10:07, Petr Hracek skrev:
> Ok, well.
> It seems that libpng15 compatibility package is built in rawhide.
> What are the next steps?
> Tagged already built libpng(1.6) package?
>
> I do not want to break rawhide completely and
> I would like to avoid all mistakes which can be done from my side.
>
> If I understand whole process then I can tagged libpng package again

Yes, I believe it should now be fine to tag the libpng 1.6 build back
into rawhide.

It seems to have been tagged with "trashcan" in the mean time, but if
you tag it with f20 again, koji should be smart enough to figure out
that it's in use again and will stop the garbage collection process for
that build.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Koji/GarbageCollection

> and create a lot of bugzillas for support libpng1.6, right?

No, I don't think you should create any bugzilla tickets at this point.
I would advise the following course of action:

 1) Re-add libpng 1.6 back into rawhide.

 2) There seems to be one package that requires libpng 1.5 pkgconfig
    file -- gdk-pixbuf2 -- I will rebuild it.

    $ repoquery --whatrequires 'pkgconfig(libpng15)'

 3) Find someone (provenpackager / rel-eng) to rebuild all other
    libpng15 using packages (repoquery --whatrequires libpng15). This
    should be easy in the sense that it shouldn't require any build
    ordering -- just fire off 500 rebuilds.

 4) Give it a few days -- package maintainers need time to fix up any
    failed builds.

 5) Do another 'repoquery --whatrequires libpng15' to see what packages
    failed to rebuild and haven't been fixed up by that time, and
    possibly file bugzilla tickets then, if you want to.

 6) There is likely going to be a F20 mass rebuild at a later time,
    where all the remaining packages hopefully get rebuilt.

 7) Retire the libpng15 package (or keep it alive for F20 and retire in
    F21, if it turns out there are still packages needing it).

Hope this helps,
Kalev