gnome software shell search provider? [Re: Is Gnome Software ready for primetime?]

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Sat Nov 2 17:34:40 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-11-02 at 18:22 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 02.11.2013 18:16, schrieb Michael Catanzaro:
> > The other change I want is for PackageKit to download updates weekly by
> > default. Currently updates come daily, but daily offline updates would
> > be completely absurd. All we have to do to support this is to change the
> > default value of one gsettings key.
> >
> > [1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/SystemUpdates/
>
> in case of security updates with zero-deay exploits everywhere in
> the news weekly updates are more absurd for a bleeding-edge
> distribution - at this point the whole idea with offline-updates
> should be recosindered (saying as KDE user which is running
> yum daily per hand and updates-testing enabled, so not affected
> from all this changes)

Whether the updates are done 'offline' or not has only little relation
to how often we check for available updates and notify the user.

The logic I recently implemented for gnome-software 3.12 in F21 is to
check for new updates once per day, and download updates when they are
important (e.g. security updates), or when it has been a week since the
last time we installed updates. When a consistent set of updates has
been downloaded, we notify the user about available updates.