gnome software shell search provider? [Re: Is Gnome Software ready for primetime?]

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sat Nov 2 17:47:35 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 01:34:40PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> The logic I recently implemented for gnome-software 3.12 in F21 is to
> check for new updates once per day, and download updates when they are
> important (e.g. security updates), or when it has been a week since the
> last time we installed updates. When a consistent set of updates has
> been downloaded, we notify the user about available updates.

This seems pretty sensible.

I'm not really excited about a lot of required rebooting, though -- I think
that might be worse than the disease. We should have most of the information
needed to determine if a reboot is really necessary, shouldn't we? I hope we
can move to that in the future for a nicer user experience.

It would also be nice, in theory, to have an "install on next reboot" option
for non-critical updates which do require a reboot.