OpenH264 in Fedora

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Nov 2 17:36:18 UTC 2013

Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> Another important point is that future versions of Firefox will download
> and "install" (I'm not quite sure where) the binary from Cisco's
> website, unless some about:config setting is disabled. I imagine this
> could possibly mean H.264 will work only in Firefox but not other
> browsers, which would suck.

IMHO, having such a setting enabled by default in Fedora is unacceptable. A
browser must not go and download binaries which are effectively non-Free
wherever the patent holds (because exercising your right to modification
under the copyright license voids your patent license) behind the user's
back.

        Kevin Kofler