gnome software shell search provider? [Re: Is Gnome Software ready for primetime?]

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Sat Nov 2 23:10:31 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-11-02 at 18:38 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 06:21:34PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > > So, really, it's this related point that I'm concerned about now. We _need_
> > > to do these things in coordination, not just push a situation into F20 where
> > > we are telling our users to reboot everyday -- that's a pretty bad user
> > > experience. Even weekly feels like a lot.
> > Then change the way that updates to the released distribution are
> > treated. As long as we don't constrain the constant stream of barely
> > tested updates, we *are* pretty much forcing our users to restart their
> > system frequently.
>
> That's been proposed, but we need to work together to do that.
>
> There was a discussion at Flock, and particularly the QA team felt relucant.
> I've been thinking about this recently (I guess not completely by
> coincidence) and _do_ want to drive that forward... but not just by
> unilaterally changing parts of the system before it all works.

Every change has to start somewhere. But I'm not even sure what you are
talking about here. In F19, update checks and notifications are
controlled by two settings, frequency-get-updates and
frequency-updates-notification. And their default values are 86400 and
604800 (seconds) - ie check for updates once per day, and notify once
per week. Nothing is changing.

> > We will look at allowing non-offline updates of applications when we
> > have applications that are truly standalone and separate from the OS
> > itself.
>
> Where here "we" is Gnome, again?

I was referring to the people designing and implementing gnome-software.