Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 18:15:10 UTC 2013

Hi

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Reindl Harald  wrote:if success is

>  * to have no centralized updates
>  * have most applicatons and tools never updated at all
>  * have the weakest security model even compared to Windows these days
>  * have a standards violating OS
>  * have a unstable OS
>
> and all above points are taken from Apple workstations surrounding me
> then indeed i prefer to keep that unsuccesfull

You assume that sandboxed apps means we get all the negatives and none of
the benefits.  That is unwarranted.  We can adopt the good parts and
improve upon it based on the lessons learned from adoption of app stores
across multiple operating systems and mobile devices that serve a much
broader audience.  We should be willing to let competent contributors who
are interested in doing that try it and provide useful feedback when
necessary instead of dismissing it on bad assumptions as a knee jerk
reaction on our experiences with proprietary software or bad conduct of
particular companies.

For a server oriented user those sandboxed apps might not be relevant and
they might be contend to get their apps from the distribution but sandboxes
apps are a fine tradeoff for others who prefer to be not locked in to a
narrow channel for all their needs.

Lets not pretend that commercial sucess doesn't matter as well. Fedora
might be free for you but it is certainly not free for say Red Hat and
their continued participation is dependent on Fedora being more successful
as well.  I for one, consider this a good thing.

Rahul