gnome software shell search provider? [Re: Is Gnome Software ready for primetime?]

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Nov 4 11:04:47 UTC 2013

Le Sam 2 novembre 2013 21:02, Richard Hughes a écrit :
> It's also impossible to do in a
> race-free way on a multiuser system. Quite frankly, I'm surprised
> online updates works as much as it does.

It works as much as it does because people have made it work for years
instead of giving up like you are. Serious (entrerprisey, that won some
marketshare) software is designed to update without reboots

Le Sam 2 novembre 2013 21:27, Reindl Harald a écrit :

> instead going the easy windows-way and say "ok, you have to reboot"
> it would be more worth to optimize the handling *after* updates
> without reboot and let the user decie wichi services are needed
> to restart

Not to mention the windows way only works for home systems. In any
corporation, sending "update and reboot now" orders to tens of thousand of
workstations is a major productivity killer

(because if you wait for reboot to apply updates some people won't ever
reboot and if you leave them the choice some will drop everything to
reboot at once because they'd rather waste work time now than go home
later at the end of the workday since updates take ages)

One way or another, adding causes for reboot is not going to make the
product more successful in the market. Can we stop the race to adopt other
systems antifeatures?

--
Nicolas Mailhot