Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Richard Marko rmarko at redhat.com
Mon Nov 4 19:12:41 UTC 2013

On 11/03/2013 03:43 PM, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-11-03 at 14:42 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
>> That really didn't have anything to do with the merits of Objective C, or
>> even of the desktop, but only with marketing. If Objective C were that
>> great, we'd all be using GNUstep.
> Which was my point too, we spend way to much time arguing the merits of
> programming languages and similar and to little trying to focus on the
> things that the rest of the world actually care about. I think the most
> extreme example I can remember of this was someone trying to convince me
> once to use a web browser that didn't have any of the features I
> actually needed, like https support, 'because it had cleaner code'.
> So I am not saying that clean code and maintainability and ease of
> development is not important, but I think being a community dominated by
> coders we tend to put way to much emphasis on these things compared to
> actually solving peoples needs.

If we were a community dominated by coders than yes, it might look like
too much. Fortunately, we are also a community of software developers
that value stuff like stability and quality more than features for the
rest of the world that actually doesn't care about us that much.

Currently, even your extreme example doesn't seem so extreme to me
considering that it's quite hard to find browser that gives priority to
improving its speed, stability and privacy instead of adding new
features to keep up with the cool guys.

--
Richard Marko