Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Nov 5 23:59:00 UTC 2013

drago01 wrote:
> Depends on what you mean by "power user" (I hate this meaningless
> term) if it means "software developer" then
> yes. If it means "someone that spends his whole day in config dialogs"
> then no.

A power user is somebody experienced with computers who uses them regularly
and who wants to customize his/her system to his/her liking, not be forced
into a straightjacket UI designed for people who have never touched a
computer before that cannot be configured in any way. Software developers
definitely fit into that category.

Nobody will spend their whole day in configuration dialogs. Even if they are
many options, those dialogs are something you set your preferences in once
and then (hopefully) never have to touch again. (Of course, if you change
your defaults every day due to some "usability" study on complete newbies
which totally ignores the habit factor, then yes, they would have to reenter
the dialogs. But not offering the option does not help, it will just make
the user curse at you for making him suffer an unwanted change to his/her
habitual workflow or move to a software that gives him/her the option.) And
offering the option does not preclude having sane defaults, which means only
those people who WANT to change something even SEE the dialog at all. So the
option does not hurt the people who are not looking for it, that claim is
just not true.

In short: Make the defaults as sane as possible, but still allow the user to
change them if they disagree with you on what is "sane". The more options,
the better.

        Kevin Kofler