[Fedora Base Design WG] Committee FESCO approved, next steps

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Nov 6 12:36:11 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Howdy folks.
>
> Looking forward to getting to work on base design. Regarding the voting
> members I feel we have a great group. Everyone intersted (voting or not)
> should participate in our discussions. My vote will certainly be influenced
> by anyone in the community willing to participate. :-)
>
> One thing I would like to talk about is embedded Fedora, mostly as that is my
> personal area of involvement with the project. There is not an embedded
> working group, and it's my agenda to hopefully have the base design double
> as embedded. It makes sense to me in the sense that base ring-zero is sort
> of the embedded core into cloud, server, or workstation. By itself base
> would be suitable for the smallest deployment.

Btw. for embedded as I understand WGs - these four were setup as an initial
seed to begin with something. Embedded WG in the (near) future is of course
possible.

> Another item I'd like to consider for the initial discussion is the release
> cycle for the base design. My feeling is that base is small enough and
> simple enough to allow a more frequent release, perhaps even continuously.
> My guess is the other WGs will have their own ideas for how frequently they
> output. So base WG would need to be the lowest common denominator in that
> way. Obviouly rel-eng and qa need to represent for this topic. :-)

For release cycle, yes, Base will be that lowest common denominator. That's
why I'm on board (and why I signed up for Base ;-). The biggest limitation
here are "resources", from qa, releng tooling. Currently it's pretty difficult
to produce and release one well defined collection in one time. Let's hope
tooling (QA and relengs are planning now) will help (and I know it will ;-).
And one thing I'd like to work as member of WG and FPGM is to share as many
resources, as many processes between products as possible, not to break
apart completely but still allow flexibility and governance of upper level
WGs ;-).

Jaroslav