Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Thu Nov 7 14:47:44 UTC 2013

Peter Robinson wrote:
> I don't see many people forcing things through, I believe that the vast majority
> of contributors either like the change or aren't bothered by it. There's
> certainly no proof that it'll make anything worse. That doesn't mean its going
> to be perfect or without teething problems as the changes are made and things
> settle down.

There's plenty of reasons why you haven't seen any negative feedback. I'll share
my views on this subject since I'm in the "not sure" ballpark of this new process.

Where's the benefit of creating a handful of workgroups that now have some sort
of power over the distribution? After reading all of the emails in the past week
I have yet to see any benefits of this "Fedora.next" process. I agree Fedora
needs to continue to evolve, but this process appears to shake the foundations
of Fedora. Specifics: Different kernels per "product", app sandboxing (lib
bundling). Will the DVD/Live ISOs currently created cease to exist F21+?
Fragmentation of Fedora into Cloud/Workstation/Server "products"? I'm just
randomly spitting out ideas in my head that come to mind, but you cannot expect
that silence equates to agreement in your favor.

It strikes me as odd at the large number of @redhat accounts and small number of
non- at redhat accounts in favor of this new process. Who is in charge of evolving
Fedora at this point? I do value Red Hat involvement, but I don't want the
common myth of "Fedora = Red Hat beta" to become a fact.

I'm still going to keep my ears open and attempt at digesting what this new idea
is bringing to the table, but it hasn't sit well on my stomach so far.