Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Nov 7 15:59:48 UTC 2013

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 09:06:43 -0600
Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:

> Josh Boyer wrote:
> > Everyone seems to think Coprs are
> > awesome, but they can be used for the same things you deride
> > containerized apps for.
>
> Please don't count me as "everyone."
>
> How is Coprs a benefit?
> -Allows easy Fedora fragmentation. Why bother with package reviews
> ever again? Were Ubuntu's PPAs seen as such an advantage because they
> allowed every John Doe and Jane Smith to release packages put
> together with duct tape? I highly value Fedora's packaging guidelines
> and now to provide a service that does away with them is insulting.

Like repos.fedorapeople.org ?

How on earth do you get to 'does away with them' ?

> -Who is going to police it? People will attempt at uploading binary
> packages. (steam, NVIDIA, skype, etc)

The copr maintainers? along with anyone who looks at them who wishes to
report something non distributable. Just like repos.fedorapeople.org

> -What's this do over running mock on your local system? Anyone can
> generate RPMs on their own system the same way Koji/Coprs do.

Sure they can. This just allows them a place to publish them and not
use local computing resources to build them.

kevin