[pkgdb2] call for testers, bug reports and RFE

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Wed Nov 13 14:54:15 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 03:20:30PM +0100, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 02:52:27PM +0100, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> > - The idea of "owner" of a package disapear. There are only maintainers on which
> > one of them appears to be the dedicated "point of contact" for this package (ie:
> > the person that gets the bugs in bugzilla).

> Why this new terminology? I think it'll just lead to confusion, since
> the new term is hard to use in casual conversation ("I'm the point of
> contact on x in Fedora" feels awkward compared "I'm the owner of x
> in Fedora") and people will probably stick to the old one. Maybe

Well, you can always use maintainer instead of owner ;-)

> even using "maintainer" + "co-maintainer" might be better, because
> in normal circumstances who is the owner and who is the co-maintainer
> matters only to the people involved in the package, and is irrelevant
> for most uses.

The idea is that we do not have two levels of maintainers anymore. We are all
maintainers, just one of them has accepted the task of being the person to
contact for bug reports.

What I would like to see is the disappearance of post/email saying "why did XYZ
touch *my* package?". Now it's not your package anymore, it's a package you
maintain, you do not "own" it. I do realize the change in terminology on pkgdb
might not stop these emails but I would like to try.

In theory, this might also help collaboration as it presents package
maintainance as a shared task which is something that we always want to improve.

I hope this makes sense,

Pierre