unaccessability

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Nov 16 01:42:30 UTC 2013

Adam Williamson wrote:
> Um. You're not reading carefully enough. The question was not 'is there
> a way to indicate this app should be launched in a terminal'. It was
> 'does any XDG specification define a way for the user to indicate their
> preferred terminal emulator app, and a method for launching the user's
> preferred terminal emulator app?', to which the answer is indeed 'no'.
>
> The OP was looking for something along the lines of xdg-open, basically,
> but for launching the user's choice of app from a given class, rather
> than the user's preferred app for dealing with a given class of *files*.
> I believe Bastien is right to say XDG really doesn't do such a thing.

Well, the context of the thread was a menu entry, and there the
Terminal=true line does the trick. To detect this in a command-line
executable, indeed, there isn't a suitable xdg-* utility. At least, there
should probably be a default-terminal-emulator setting in xdg-settings, but
it's not there. xdg-utils also seems to be missing a tool to run .desktop
files, I'd have expected xdg-open to do the trick, but that ends up opening
it in an editor, at least under KDE (where the implementation used is kde-
open).

As for setting the preferred terminal emulator, the user's desktop's system
settings should include that. (KDE System Settings does under "Workspace
Appearance and Behavior" / "Default Components".) The desktop should be (and
AFAIK is) honoring that when running a .desktop file is run from the menu.

        Kevin Kofler