Red Hat and Fedora Working Groups

Jiri Moskovcak jmoskovc at redhat.com
Tue Oct 8 07:00:14 UTC 2013

On 10/05/2013 05:34 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 10/04/2013 06:23 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 03:14:27PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>>> Why should the community participate in this when it turns out that
>>> the the whole WG and the next proposal is nothing but an utter and
>>> total sheninagan on RH behalf as came apparent on last FESCO meeting
>> Jóhann, you're taking one out-of-context quote from one FESCo member,
>> reading too much into it, and building an alarmist story around it.
>> This is absolutely a real community process. Red Hat members of the
>> working
>> groups can make their merit-based cases the same way as anyone else,
>> and if
>> they can't show that merit to the community, they don't get a special
>> trump
>> card. They will have to find another way to advance their cause.
>>
>> You may think that this is just talk, but I promise you it isn't. Fedora
>> provides value to Red Hat in many different ways, but genuine community
>> voice is among the most crucial. If that voice tells us one thing and we
>> can't listen, that's our failure, our loss -- and not what's going to
>> happen
>> here.
>>
>> It's completely fair for Red Hat -- and Red Hatters -- to talk about what
>> directions in Fedora we think would be most beneficial to the company,
>> and
>> about the resources -- time, money, people, and so on -- that we could
>> bring
>> to bear in certain directions (and probably won't in other
>> directions). If
>> we clearly talk about that, and about the technical merit of directions
>> proposed, and we can't be convincing, and can't adapt what we're
>> proposing
>> to become convincing... well, we have some soul-searching to do.
>
> And those words coming from a man who just back stabbed a man he went
> into feature process with and left him hanging ( Lennart ).
>
> Am I and the rest of the community supposed trust what you suddenly say
> and claim now?

Hi Johann,
you use the word *the community* in your emails a lot, but I don't see
many others supporting your opinion, so can you please share with us who
is *the community* you're talking about? For one, it's definitely not me
and I think of my self as part of the community..(yes, I'm working for
the community even outside my RH paid job). So far it looks like you're
only hiding behind the term *community* because there's only you (or
just a few of you), but it's better to say community than *all four of us*.

Thanks,
Jirka