communications and community [was Re: Lack of response about sponsorship]

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Oct 25 17:40:28 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-10-25 at 16:02 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> The split and intended usage has been questioned by several community
> members for many years, even already when the lists where still on Red
> Hat's servers.
>
> Locating such comments with a search engine isn't easy.

> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2007-September/109577.html

> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2007-September/109591.html

> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2007-September/109624.html

> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2007-September/109625.html
>

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide#Mailing_Lists
> | Rawhide discussion is on topic and welcome in both the test and devel lists.

> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-November/msg01148.html
> | Hmmm, shouldn't this be discussed on fedora-devel-list though? ;-)
>

> There are more. I just cannot spend more time on locating them.
> Similarly, users of "fedora" list, who enable updates-testing, get asked
> whether they should have posted to "test" list instead.

I can't help noticing that all your references are from a minimum of six
years ago, which is, well, quite a long time. Ever since I've joined,
which is ohgod nearly five years ago now, the split has seemed
reasonably clear and non-controversial, and I really can't recall anyone
being particularly confused about it, so perhaps this is a problem which
is still current in your mind but obsolete in cold unfeeling reality? :)
I think we wind up with more posts that we think would be appropriate
for users@ than devel at .

To me, at least, test@ has a very clear and specific purpose which is
quite different from devel@, and I'd fight with tooth and claw any
proposal to 'merge' them. Merging them would be a flat-out disaster for
QA work: we have a different atmosphere and much lower traffic on test@,
if all our useful and productive QA mails got drowned in the devel@
noise it would have a significant negative impact on our ability to do
useful stuff.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey