PATH has /bin before /usr/bin in upgraded rawhide

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 10:11:32 UTC 2013

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 15:43:44 +0100, Sandro Mani wrote:

> > In which places have you searched already?
> $HOME/.bashrc
> $HOME/.bash_profile
> /etc/bashrc
> /etc/profile
> /etc/profile.d/*
> > Is it the same for a fresh user account?
> > Is it the same for "root"?
> Logging in from a VT as root resp. newly created user test I get
>
> [root at oldrawhide]# echo $PATH
> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin
> # -> chaos

Chaos? That output looks normal and has been like that for years.

> [test at oldrawhide]$ echo $PATH
> /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/home/test/.local/bin:/home/test/bin
> # -> /bin:/usr/bin inverted, otherwise ok

My Rawhide is broken, so I cannot check whether this is reproducible
and specific to Rawhide (e.g. via the path munging in /etc/profile).
A little bit debugging output (even simply printing $PATH to a file)
in the bash config files might lead to something already.