fedmsg for voting?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 15:00:12 UTC 2013

On Sep 10, 2013 8:20 PM, "Ralf Corsepius" <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> On 09/11/2013 12:00 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:

>> I think the benefit of encouraging more participation through voting is a
>> reasonable tradeoff for this particular bit of information (voted in a
>> particular election, possibly chosing no candidates). I do think we need
>> disclose it.
>>
>> Do you feel strongly enough about this that you would refrain from
voting in
>> Fedora elections? (Serious question.)
>
> Yes. Votes must be entirely anonymous, as well as their must be no
records nor metadata records allowing conclusions about whether an
individual has participated in an election.

Just for comparison purposes:

- a record of whether an individual voted must be kept to prevent an
individual voting multiple times.  All current and past fedora election
software has had this information and kept it private.
- a record of who voted for what has been kept since this feature was
implemented: fedorahosted.org/elections/ticket/30 in 2009.  All election
software that recorded this information has kept the information private.

-Toshio