fedmsg for voting?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Sep 11 15:32:33 UTC 2013

On 09/11/2013 05:00 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2013 8:20 PM, "Ralf Corsepius" <rc040203 at freenet.de
> <mailto:rc040203 at freenet.de>> wrote:
>  >
>  > On 09/11/2013 12:00 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>
>  >> I think the benefit of encouraging more participation through voting
> is a
>  >> reasonable tradeoff for this particular bit of information (voted in a
>  >> particular election, possibly chosing no candidates). I do think we
> need to
>  >> disclose it.
>  >>
>  >> Do you feel strongly enough about this that you would refrain from
> voting in
>  >> Fedora elections? (Serious question.)
>  >
>  > Yes. Votes must be entirely anonymous, as well as their must be no
> records nor metadata records allowing conclusions about whether an
> individual has participated in an election.
>  >
> Just for comparison purposes:

> - a record of whether an individual voted must be kept to prevent an
> individual voting multiple times.
Sure. German data privacy laws demand such records be destroyed
immediately after the elections.

>  All current and past fedora election
> software has had this information and kept it private.
Have these been deleted/permanently destroyed? If no, in the ages of the
NSA scandal, keeping such records is hardly acceptable to anybody
(outside of the US).

> - a record of who voted for what has been kept since this feature was
> implemented: fedorahosted.org/elections/ticket/30
> <http://fedorahosted.org/elections/ticket/30> in 2009.  All election
> software that recorded this information has kept the information private.
You'd go to jail in Germany, if this SW was used for official elections.

Again, I have to emphasize it: The NSA scandal has fundamentally changed
the situation. What was tolerable in the past, isn't anymore.

Ralf